Tel Aviv (IMEMC) – The Israeli Cabinet reportedly decided, on Tuesday afternoon, to resume the offensive on the besieged Gaza Strip, following a meeting that lasted several hours.
Hebrew-language news sites reported that, following a meeting that lasted for nearly seven hours, the Israeli Cabinet decided to continue airstrikes targeting the Gaza Strip “as necessary.”
According to a statement released by the Cabinet and published on Israel National News, the Political-Security Cabinet discussed events in the south. The cabinet heard reports, from the Israeli army and security sources, about the attacks and the widespread actions against the “terrorist” elements in Gaza, and instructed the army to continue its operations as necessary.
A total of seven Palestinians have been killed since Monday evening, while more than 30 were injured.
UN and Egyptian officials will reportedly visit Gaza on Wednesday.
Earlier on Tuesday, sources told Ma’an that the Palestinian factions agreed to a ceasefire agreement upon request by Egypt and the United Nations (UN).
Palestinian resistance groups in the Gaza Strip announced an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire with Israel, on Tuesday, following two days of Israeli shelling of the Strip, said WAFA sources.
A ceasefire deal was allegedly reached following intensive efforts exerted by the Egyptian side.
Israeli media sources also reported late Tuesday that a ceasefire agreement was reached between Israeli authorities and Palestinian factions, quoting unnamed sources from the Israeli government.
The Israeli sources said that the negotiated ceasefire will be based on the negotiated agreement that followed Israel’s 2014 invasion of Gaza.
Tuesday’s ceasefire agreement came following two days of continued Israeli military aggression against Gaza, which left at least 14 people killed and dozens of others injured while causing the destruction of around 80 buildings, including governmental and residential buildings, media institutions, and agricultural lands across the Strip.
Israel closed Erez/Beit Hanoun crossing with Gaza, preventing anyone, including humanitarian cases, from crossing. They also barred fishermen from fishing in the sea.
This post originally ran on International Middle East Media Center and was republished here with permission. Featured photo: Tasnim News Agency